Thursday, July 29, 2010

What next?

I have spent the last week and a half looking through hundreds of typefaces and trying to find the characteristics of the alphabet that would be apt for my type integration options as well as fit in within the firms image.

There are a lot of things that affected my decision making
  1. General considerations such as stroke variation, width, weight, scale, form.
  2. Legibility vs. readability vs. recognisable symbol.
  3. How can the type be flowing into the each other, and yet be distinguishable?
  4. What can be done to make sure that the 'd' does not look like a 'c'?
  5. If a serif, then it should be one which does not disappear when scaled down
  6. The brackets of the serifs should not be rounded, but more angular.
  7. Each initial needs to be given equal importance, and needs to provide a linear eye movement. This  eliminated possibilities of exploring design principles such as hierarchy and visual anchor.
  8. How recognisable is a typeface? Is there a need to alter an existing typeface or create a new one?
  9. Is there a typeface which is used extensively in the current logo trend? Can it be avoided, or treated differently?
I wanted to reach a point where I could go no further in my progress before I asked for my mentor's feedback. After exploring options, trying out things that were experimental and not so experimental, and finally condensing my list to a few typefaces, and a few options, I waited for another two days, so that I could really stretch my mind to its fullest.

Today, a little apprehensive but nonetheless I had a meeting with Rashmi and Dev. I will be putting up the feedback shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment